Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dog Food

Recently someone asked my mother*, if she won the lottery, what would she get for herself. She said she'd want a full time chef.

I agree with her. I cannot imagine how she prepared that many meals and not put us up for adoption so that someone else could do the cooking and feed us. I once measured out a new 15kg bag of food to check how far it is supposed to go in a month and counted 96 meals.

I've eaten dog food twice this week. No no no, not the dry kibble stuff but the veg, meat and potato or rice I cooked for them. Have you tasted raw carrot grated together with apple? Pretty good. Not to mention the super lean mince with the courgettes. Fresh potato, sweet potato, wild brown rice.

As I'm waiting for my hamburger there is a pot, a huge pot (well huge-ish by our standards) of meat and veg cooling on the stove at home.

Hour later - Bassets have eaten their balanced meal and I'm trying to be happy with a burnt second grade patty squeezed between the body double of a tomato slice and a vinegary sauce soaked bun. Nougat an Horton still have the audacity to beg for it. 'Be careful what you wish for' I tell them.


After all that slaving over the stove, the kitchen: I suppose it could have been worse.

I include these photos to prove that I have other interests beside the Bassets. Artwork by Adrian van Staden.



* Nougat's grandmother. Nougat is Grandmother's favorite in this house. Bofa lost his chance because of his love for my mother's feet. When she visited and woke up in the mornings and swung her feet onto the ground, Bofa would be there to grab it. No idea what he was thinking.

2 comments:

Elize said...

Interesting kitchen, Lizette... ;)

The Human said...

A work in progress.