Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hortie

Around 00h15 Horton tries to climb into the same bed as where Bofa is sleeping. Bofa half groan half growl at Horten. I'm immediately wide awake, not because of Bofa's growling but because of Horton's strange behavior. I see him standing with his one paw raised at Bofa like he does when he wants attention or food. He is completely disorientated. I switch on the lights and call him to one of the open beds but he does not seem able to determine where I am and climbs into another bed. I realize we're going to have a miserable night.

Within another minute he sways from side to side before he sinks down and lie stretched out with his paws beside his mouth which is dripping watery drool. The others come rushing up with tails wagging but back off as soon as they smell him.

He is no longer able to move anything other than his eyes which are darting from side to side. It takes another 10 minutes before the trashing starts. I speak softly to him and stroke him. He is fully aware of what is happening to him but unable to do anything about it.

It was the longest epilepsy attack he has had to date. When he comes out of it Butter is there in a second to sniff him, you can tell when he had an attack, his body odor is overwhelming. She pushes her wet nose under my arm until I hug her and tell her that he is okay.

He finally gets up and I go to fetch everyone a snack, his is peanut butter with a little bit of honey - I do not have the specific brand of vanilla ice cream that is recommended.

While they go outside to do doggie things I clean up the floor where he has been unable to control himself.

I can see that he is tired when he eventually comes in and drags himself up and onto the couch. Butter positions herself in front of the couch to give his face a thorough was before she climbs up to settle in behind his back which is something she seldom does.


Butters made sure that Hortie will be alright for the rest of the night.

The first time I was hysterical and thought that he had food stuck in his windpipe. The second time I thought he had been poisoned. The vet could not detect anything, by the time he checked Horton his heart rate was normal as was his blood sugar.
The third time I knew what was happening and was there with him. The fourth time I walked right past him not noticing what was happening. The fifth time was between their nanny leaving and me coming home - there was no one. Humans can be such assholes. He forgives me though, for which I am grateful.

Sad story? Not really. Reality.

Advice? Once you know what the symptoms are: do not panic. Support. Be aware. Keep a regular schedule. Even visitors can be the cause of an attack the same or following day. Check energy levels, I know Horton becomes slow about two days prior and then I give him his meds. Keep regular feeding times - low blood sugar can trigger an attack. Do not change to a new food too fast. Check the carb content of food, too much  can cause a spike in blood sugar levels followed by a subsequent drop.I found that a good calcium supplement helps both him and Butter (who has some of her own brain related problems). Calcium needs certain other vitamins and minerals to be well absorbed. A spoon of vanilla flavored Haagen-Dazs icecream after an attack is also recommended by some.

This is the bit I know.

Anyway, the Horton is okay. Tonight he ran up and down the hall with his squeaky for quite a while before he settled.

No comments: